Sunday, 20 May 2012

Bend, Orgeon

After just a week of time to settle into Canmore I am now in Bend, Oregon for the my first training camp with the Alberta World Cup Academy. Bend is unique in that it feels summery warm in town and just a 20 minute drive up the road one finds Mount Bachelor which is at a high enough altitude and good enough snow area that it still has a huge base to ski on well into May and June. We are here to get back on skis and work the technique as well as continue building on last year's fitness base.

Mount Bachelor - cool mix of Alpine and XC
 Training has been going well and it's really fun to be back on snow so soon. Coming from Ontario, I have never skied for real in May so this is pretty neat! Interestingly, today I ran into former XC Ottawa teammate Karl Saidla on the trails. He is headed to Portland for a conference and decided to check out Bend on the way out so I was quite happy to get to ski with an Ottawa friend.

Karl enjoying May skiing
Another cool thing about training here in Bend is the huge crowd of skiers from all over North America who are also training here. The Canadian and American world cup teams are here as well as the B-teams, APU and of course, a bunch of us from Canmore. It's fun to see so many fast skiers out on the trails and catch up with familiar faces too.

Taking a snap break with Erin Tribe, yes!

Between ski workouts we have done some running on cool trails, one rollerski and a gym workout. I haven't looked it up to confirm but Bend definitely has desert feel to it. The running trails are dry and dusty and there are all kinds of different and pretty plants to admire. It's a nice contrast to the morning skis.

Scenery with Mt. Bachelor in the background, taken at the end of our street.
There is still another week of training here ahead and I'm really looking forward to it. My energy feels good and I'm working hard on my yearlong goal of enjoying and appreciating this opportunity to chase my dreams as an athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment